QCMF 2021 – Livestreamed Hybrid Festival
Participants will create and submit videos, which will be played during the Festival (Thursday 12th – Sunday 15th August) to adjudicators and small live audiences. Overseen by comperes, the Festival will be broadcast as a YouTube livestream. Schools can watch just their performance, whole sections or indeed the entire Festival. Participants are encouraged to use the QCMF livestream as an opportunity to create community events in their schools, towns and cities.
Download and print the ‘What is QCMF?‘ brochure to help promote your event.
Please read below and check-back regularly for updates regarding Rules and Technical Specifications of Recordings. Please also follow QCMF on Facebook for important announcements.
- Vocal Ensembles and Instrumental Ensembles – $55
- All other ensembles – $110
(i.e. Choirs; Concert Bands; Percussion, Guitar, Jazz and Contemporary Ensembles; String and Full Orchestras; Drumlines).
Registering for QCMF
If your school is based in Queensland and has not attended the Festival before, please follow this link to the Registration Portal to activate your school’s unique PURL.
However, if you school is not based in Queensland and has not participated prior to 2012, simply email email@example.com and our Festival team will be in contact.
Entering your Ensembles
- For schools that have participated in QCMF since 2012, your school’s unique PURL will be emailed to your nominated School Administrator on the day registrations open.
- The School Administrator should, using the PURL, log into the QCMF Management Portal and update all information in Step 1: Enter School Details.
- The School Administrator should remove any conductors from the list who no longer work at your school/college.
- The School Administrator should then circulate the school’s PURL to all conductors to begin registering their ensembles.
Ensemble Conductors and/or School Administrators
- Update the Conductor contact information and add any new conductors.
- Click on Add New Ensemble
- Refer to the Rules of Participation, Section Criteria, Award Criteria and Community Expectations before adding your ensemble.
Video Recordings *new*
Rules for recordings:
All current rules, criteria and expectations of QCMF still apply. Additionally, all participants are bound by the following rules for recordings and thereby agree:
- To continue to embrace the spirit of QCMF and its community expectations.
- That all participants are aware video and audio production standards in no way form part of the adjudication process and that QCMF adjudicators are trained to minimise bias concerning same.
- That whilst video and audio production quality are not evaluated at QCMF, participating schools are encouraged to offer and share technical and facility resources, in a spirit of cooperation, to create positive educational outcomes for all students and teachers in QCMF schools and colleges.
- That all submitted recordings are the product of a continuous, uninterrupted, single take using a static wide-shot whereby all ensemble members are visible. Ensure that the bottom third of the video is clear (i.e. captures legs, stands and floor only). Audio only recordings will not be accepted.
- That all recordings are unedited (be that aurally and/or visually) and unprocessed.
- That you and your school support the Arts, and in doing so, your school or college is covered by the appropriate APRA/AMCOS license (or equivalent body in your region) and in no way does your video infringe copyright.
- Record your performance just like you would be performing at QCMF.
- Keep it simple. There is no requirement for title frames, spoken introductions (our comperes will introduce you on the day), credit reels, or fancy lighting.
- QCMF is about creating quality performance and educational opportunities. To that end, we strongly discourage ‘re-using videos’ from end-of-term or annual concerts etc. QCMF is a special event – create a special video.
- As part of the Festival’s commitment to community, your QCMF videos will be played, on the day, to a live audience. As such, we would still like you to stand and bow as with any performance. Additionally, as part of your filming process, you may wish also to involve a live audience.
- If the opportunity exists, and you have a separate microphone to record sound, our technical team has recommended that microphone be placed just above and behind the conductor’s ears – this is the point at which the best sound exists.
- Microphone placement suggestion for Jazz Bands and Contemporary Ensembles: stereo pair 3 metres in front of the ensemble.
- Microphone placement suggestion for all other ensembles: set as high as possible 1-2 metres behind the conductor.
- Performance times cannot exceed those found in the section criteria. Notwithstanding, videos MUST have four to five (4-5) seconds of silent vision at the beginning and end of the performance. In short, just wait after you have started recording and then just wait before you stop recording.
- Whilst setting up on stage is part of both yours and the audience’s QCMF experience, your video is to be of your repertoire performance only.
- Accepted video formats: .MOV, .MP4, .AVI of no higher than 1080p resolution (frame-rate preferred is 30fps). Please, do not record in 4K.
- A Zoom Q4 video recorder or similar has been recommended by our technical volunteers should your school have no existing facilities.
- All videos are to be uploaded using your PURL.
- Deadline for upload via the QCMF Portal (23 July 2021)
Creating your Performance Information Web Form *new*
- Click on your school’s PURL or copy and paste your PURL into your browser
- Click on upload (next to your ensemble)
- Click on Enter Information (next to Performance Information Sheet)
- Complete the form and Save
- Return to Upload and Print the Performance Information Sheet
- ENSURE you PRINT a copy of the completed web form – you must post this form together with your score(s)
CHANGING your Performance Information Sheet
You can return and change your uploaded document at any stage prior to the deadline (Monday, 23rd July) and then clicking on Save.
For each ensemble, a Performance Information Sheet is required. Please see below for the details of these:
POSTING Your Scores *new*
- Two copies of all scores (except for Vocal or Instrument Ensemble entries that require only one score) must be POSTED, together with a stamped, self-addressed envelope (A4 size) and a printed version of your Performance Information web form.
- For each ensemble entered, schools must supply a stamped, self-addressed envelope for the return of scores, adjudicators reports and award certificate.
- Please note: QCMF will NOT accept scores or materials submitted via email. Schools who do not send a replied envelope will not receive reports and certificates.
attn: QCMF/Music Dpt.
24 Sixth Avenue,
Coorparoo, Brisbane, QLD, 4151
QCMF Child and Youth Risk Management Strategy
The primary goal of QCMF is to celebrate music and music education in Catholic Schools and Colleges. This document outlines the Festival’s QCMF Child and Youth Risk Management Strategy.